Building on the right foundationPosted by: WebPulpit | Posted on: March 7, 2015
by Emeka Ogbuju (Author “My Lovelift!”)
Luke 6:47-49: I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.
The foundation of marriage was laid by heavenly laws, earthly principles cannot build on it. Today, we shall highlight some heavenly laws on which you can build your marriage and avoid all earthly minded principles prevalent on our society nowadays.
The Heavenly Laws
- The Law of Love: Marriage is based on love, the agape love of God – the love that binds together and builds together. If you do not have the love of God resident in you, you cannot give the marital love. Of course, you cannot give what you do not have. You must have the genuine love within you before you can truly love unconditionally. To get the true love right inside you, you must be born again. Being born again is to receive the love of God into your heart. No marriage can work out well without the love of God resident in the heart of the lovers! The first step to identify a sincere love is to experience the most sincere love in your own life. You need Jesus who is the love of God to be the love of your life first. You cannot identify what you have not experienced. If you are truly born again, you will easily be guided to identify a sincere love.
- The law of Leaving and Cleaving: You cannot be happily married without fully leaving all others and cleaving to your one and only one love, your dove, your undefiled! (Songs 5:2). Once a marital love have been clearly identified, you must shut your ears to every other suitors and close your eyes to every other ‘prospective’. That is, you completely decide to never make any other proposals or accept any. You completely focus on your partner. Leave all others and then cleave totally to him or her. You got to leave your family members as well and focus on your partner. Let no other person distract you at all even if he/she may appear more beautiful or more handsome or whatever, you must overlook all others and focus on your partner. That’s the law of leaving and cleaving.
- The Law of Life: Marriage is for life. As long as you are living, you are mandated to continually love and persistently cleave to your partner. When trials and hard times comes up in the marriage, provided you are still alive, you must cleave continually to your love. Why? Because marriage is a union of life not a union of properties. Property may be lost, material possessions may vanish but perfect love lasts for life!
The Earthly Principles
- Sex-driven : A lot of young people based their decision for marriage on infatuation and sexual arousal. If sex is your driving force for marriage then I tell you quite very soon when you have satisfied your feelings then realities will dawn on you. Sex is secondary in marriage. Love is primary! When sex is done out of lust, it produces heartbreak but when it is done out of love, it produces joy and trust. Build on love, it endures forever!
- Material-driven: It is wrong to build your marriage on material possessions. This is a mirage. Possessions may one day develop wings and fly away. So you can’t trust it. Basing your decision on money, houses, cars and clothing is an error. Material possessions are secondary. Love remains primary.
- Beauty-driven: Prov 31:30 says “favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.” Beauty will fade, handsomeness will vanish, just with time! You must look well beyond facial beauty and allow the Spirit of God to lead you to someone who fears God.
- Tradition-driven: Mark 7:6-8 says ‘This people honors me with their lips, But their heart is far from me. And in vain they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men…” Tradition says a man can marry many wives. God says a man can marry only one wife. Tradition says women are mere properties. God says women are helpmeet to men. Tradition & godly principles don’t agree. You must not uphold your village traditions over the word of God.
Building your marriage with any of these earthly principles is building on bare sand. Those principles cannot last and marriages built upon them are bound to fail. You need to build on the rock of ages, the solid rock of love, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Further study: Luke 6:47 – 49